Punjabi TV Serials

Everything about Doordarshan, Kyonki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi, Kasauti jindagi ki along with whats Discovery Channel has to tell us can be discussed here.

Re: Punjabi TV Serials

Postby bobbysandhu » March 16th, 2011, 9:17 am

@ 5abiportal - Yes, Hindi Television was on a completely different level. What i said was in relation with Punjabi TV.
bobbysandhu
Site Admin

Highscores: 12

Postby 5jabiportal » March 16th, 2011, 1:12 pm

bobbysandhu wrote:@ 5abiportal - Yes, Hindi Television was on a completely different level. What i said was in relation with Punjabi TV.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. I'm sure you're aware of the serial Malgudi Days, well there is a website with the entire series episode by episode. The serial seemed to have a very modest budget, but still managed to capture R k narayan's british era and 1950's masterpiece from the south with surprisingly vivid clarity. I wish some of the Punjabi literary works of the early 20th century could be made into a series like this maybe a bilingual hindi-punjabi effort for national audiences as well, as this one was biligual hindi-english(dubbed for south india).........dreaming.

Code: Select all
http://www.malgudidays.net/
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

ਮੈਂ ਦੱਸਿਓ ਮਾਰਗ ਸੰਤੋ ਕਿਉਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਮਿਲਾਈਆਂ॥
5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby bobbysandhu » March 17th, 2011, 10:23 am

I already had discussed Malgudi Days elsewhere in forums in great detail and i believe what Doordarshan Did back in those days, no channel has ever been able to do that... Malgudi Days stays as one of the best production in Indian TV Hstory
bobbysandhu
Site Admin

Postby suryagupt » March 20th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Lafafi was a 6 episodes (45 minutes each) serial telecast from Jalandhar Doordarshan in 1993-94. Ravi Deep was the screenplay writer and director. The main cast included Neena Cheema, Rajinder Kashyap, Pramod Sharma, Sudeshna Bakshi Amarjeet Grover, Daljeet Kaur and Master Saurabh Shaili.
suryagupt
Bacha

Postby suryagupt » March 23rd, 2011, 3:13 pm

The actor in Tamas (character that instigates riots by killing a pig) was not Amrish Puri - it was Om Puri.
suryagupt
Bacha

Postby 5jabiportal » March 24th, 2011, 1:58 am

suryagupt wrote:The actor in Tamas (character that instigates riots by killing a pig) was not Amrish Puri - it was Om Puri.

Yes, Om puri a name confusion maybe. Amrish puri was the older Sardar head of the village gurdwara. Their names are confusing but their faces and acting styles are instantly recognizable. In Tamas there were so many other actors of that era especially from parallel cinema like Deepa Sahi, Dina pathak, Illa Arun, Manohar Singh etc.

One thing is for sure that Punjabi channels and what they put out in terms of serials and other shows nowadays is much better, watchable and less repetetive than hindi channels today. The decline in the quality of hindi film industry and hindi serials/shows has happened almost at the same rate.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby rkahlon » March 25th, 2011, 2:19 pm

One was Bhai Manna Singh, the character is so immortal.

I also remember Jaspal Bhatti's many...the most popular being Flop Show on national television.

Did Jaswinder Bhalla too did not get popular by Chacha-Bhatija/Chacha Chatar Singh or something like that on t.v.?
rkahlon
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby jamesy » March 25th, 2011, 11:44 pm

I heard Jija Ji telefilm was turned into a serial lateron? Anyone seen it? Is it in Punjabi, or Hindi?
jamesy
10wi Fail

Postby 5jabiportal » March 26th, 2011, 6:59 am

rkahlon wrote:One was Bhai Manna Singh, the character is so immortal.

I also remember Jaspal Bhatti's many...the most popular being Flop Show on national television.

Did Jaswinder Bhalla too did not get popular by Chacha-Bhatija/Chacha Chatar Singh or something like that on t.v.?

Yes, Bhai Manna singh was a satire on social ills. Played by the veteran theatre actor Gursharan Mann(?). Jaspal Bhatti had Ulta Pulta before Flop Show(its on youtube). Also, his co-star Late Vivek shauq used to come on Raunaq mela the punjabi music and comedy program hosted by Raunqi ram, that also shot Atro Chatro to fame. I think Bhalla also, got his break on Raunaq mela on Jalandhar Doordarshan. Punjabi channel of doordarshan did a great job promoting new punjabi singers many of whom were introduced to the public through Katch diyan mundraan and Raunaq mela. The likes of Gurdas Mann, Sarabjeet(koke wali), Dilshad Akhtar, Sardool Sikandar, Master Salim and a lot of other famous names.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby suryagupt » March 31st, 2011, 3:39 pm

Bhai Manna singh was a serial written by Gursharan Singh the veteran theatre artist who also portrayed the title character. Durga Dutt Savioj was the TV director of the serial produced by Jalandhar doordarshan.
The first Punjabi TV Serial was Supne Te Parchhaven. It was an adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel David Copperfield done by Prof. ajit singh Arora. The serial (Perhaps 22 episodes) was produced and directed by Harjit Singh and featured Pramod Moutho, Kamlesh Sharma, Jasdeep Kaur, Lalit Behl and Jatinder Kaur. It was telecast in late seventies or early eighties.
suryagupt
Bacha

Postby 5jabiportal » April 1st, 2011, 1:23 am

@suryagupt: Do you have any knowlegde about or have the names of punjabi serials/nataks telecast on Jalandhar doordarshan in the early to late eighties. Please share the info if you can.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby jass » April 23rd, 2011, 7:39 pm

there use to be some good serials,jalandhar doordarshan still show some one episode series based on punjabi stories,but its time is too late,jalandhar doordarshan dont show somethin good during prime time like 8 to 10..
anyone remember zee punjabi's daane anaar de,it was also good one..
lashkara channel was more like mumbaiya channel with no basic punjabi backdrop..
zee punjabi is good,but its not on my cable

i remember lafafi very well..neena cheema played the title role..
well i am quite filmy..
jass
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby suryagupt » May 7th, 2011, 9:20 pm

5jabiportal wrote:@suryagupt: Do you have any knowlegde about or have the names of punjabi serials/nataks telecast on Jalandhar doordarshan in the early to late eighties. Please share the info if you can.

Introduction of colors in Indian Television (restricted to Doordarshan at that time) was a major happening. the first color Punjabi Telefilm ( I forget title) produced by Harjit Singh was beautiful.

A 10 episodes serial on College Life Buniad was telecast in 1984. The serial was written and directed by Ravi Deep. Satish Tandon wrote dialogs. Central character of an idealist lecturer was played by Rajesh Jolly. Other artists were Mohan Middha, Pushpanjali, Pramod Moutho, Raj Kumar, Baljit Singh and Rajesh Nayyar.

Bhai Manna Singh was also telecast in mid eighties.
suryagupt
Bacha

Postby 5jabiportal » May 8th, 2011, 10:38 pm

I know about a three to four episode comedy/satire natak "Premiaan di wapsi" starring Natasha Rana and Adarsh Gautam as very young lovers(both prominent names in the Mumbai TV serial world now on various channels) who go to heaven and come back after their trial with dharamraja. "Peelay Patteyan di dastaan" about marital discord in a household where both husband and wife are professionals based on some punjabi novel by nanak singh? during the black and white days before 84. Then there was the multi episode "Eho hamara jeevana" based on Dilip kaur Tiwana's award winning novel starring Amar noorie in the lead role.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby jass » May 14th, 2011, 12:21 pm

i contacted many including director of eho hamara jeevna(gurbeer garewal ji) abt its vcd etc,he said even jalandhar doordarshan is not having its record,he said may be in some canada video store,one can find dvd/vcd of eho hamara jeevna..strange..
well i am quite filmy..
jass
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby 5jabiportal » May 15th, 2011, 4:06 am

Eho Hamara Jeevna was telecast during the late 80's in full colour. It was a classic as far as Punjabi serials are concerned. A similar version during the black and white era around 84 was also made with different actors. If they don't have this serial in their records then there is no hope of finding anything in their archives from that era. That is pathetic because the stuff that was made during those times in terms of stories, acting, direction etc. was very good and can never be reproduced the way things have deteriorated today.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby suryagupt » May 21st, 2011, 10:06 pm

Technical formats of TV Productions have changed frequently over the years. But productions of archival value are generally transferred into new formats. I hope at least some serials/plays must be preserved by Doordarshan.

Peele Pattean Di Dastaan is a novel by Dalip Kaur tiwana and not Nanak Singh. Recently, Lalit Behl has also produced a serial based on this novel.
suryagupt
Bacha

Postby 5jabiportal » May 25th, 2011, 8:31 am

Good News............Eho Hamara Jeevna of Jalandhar Doordarshan starring Amar Noorie from the late 1980's is on Youtube episode by episode.

Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

Postby bobbysandhu » May 25th, 2011, 10:39 am

Look at the amazing production. TV used to have aesthetics back then...
bobbysandhu
Site Admin

Postby 5jabiportal » May 25th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Thats true Bobby. Earlier in the thread you were talking about the low budget and money constraints of Jalandhar doordarshan. Despite that they did manage to produce some pretty good programming especially serials based on literary works. Also, recording novice singers and making them into stars via their music and comedy shows like katch diyan mundran and raunak mela. This serial is one in a series of such productions over the years. There were a lot more during the early to mid eighties i believe, with great actors and stories. Just listen to the idiom and slang filled language in this serial...you're transported back to the Punjab of early 20th century, minute details like this make the look and feel of this production closer to the literary masterpeiece. Also, no loud filmi style unnecessary background music like these days.
Old Punjabi Movie Songs

5jabiportal
Hun Yaar Wehle

PreviousNext

Return to Television Media